Monday, March 05, 2007

Incoming: Big Net Artist

Just in from the gym.

Big Net Artist on the wireless, talking in my ear, saying, "...that part of your blog, where you equate, what was it? Pataphysics and psychogeography with an alchemical, counterintuitive flow? I was thinking about that in relation to intuition. You write about intuition too, yes? "

"Sure. I guess I was riffing on the artist-trickster."

"But not as a kind of spontaneous poetics of net art, because the code always gets in the way, right? Code corrupts flow, no?"

"Well, no, not necessarily, it's a matter of --"

"--intention? Right? I mean it's about becoming counter protocol while disrupting narrative, isn't it?"

"I'm not sure I see what you mean, but speaking of disrupting narrative, I just got home from the gym and wanted to take a shower."

"The shower scene can wait! Maybe it should wait. Remember Norman Bates."

"That would be a gruesome end to an otherwise prolific online second life."

"Yes! So, as I was saying, improvisation --"

"You were saying 'improvisation'?"

"Yes, improvisation, intention, intuition, as far as all that net art jazz goes, you still have to corrupt the flow with counter protocol which is code writing itself."

"Counter protocol is code writing itself? Who is this Counter Protocol character, I wonder."

"Fuck characters! They're destined for plots. Narrative will bury you."

"So you suggest I just hang up and what? Drift into the shower scene, knives ablazing?"

"If you must. But I have an imaginary solution to a problem that doesn't exist and was hoping you would at least listen to it."

"Sure. Can you send it to me as an mp3?"

"No! I mean, I want to tell it to you now, over the phone."

"But I'm not on the phone. I'm on the iPod. Bluetoothing my Mac-mini all temporal data. In fact, I'm not even here right now. Or didn't I tell you that?"

[Silence]

[Loud screetching]

[Host closed connection?]



Metadata: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home